Maritime Union condemns latest Ports of Auckland outsourcing move

The Ports of Auckland has confirmed that it is proceeding with a plan to sack its stevedoring workforce.

Maritime Union National President Garry Parsloe says the union met with management this morning to find out the details of a management scheme to outsource jobs.

Mr Parsloe says the union attended the meeting to find out what the company plan was, and to receive information that would be taken back to the membership for discussion.

“The position of the Maritime Union and our members at Ports of Auckland remains clear. We will not accept this attack on workers and their basic rights of employment through contracting out aimed at undermining job security.”

Mr Parsloe says there was still a window for a negotiated solution, and nothing had been finalized.

“We think management need to change tack pretty quickly, because where they are heading could have very bad consequences for the port.”

He says their decisions brought into question their judgement, their motives and gave a sense there is another agenda here that the people of Auckland who own the port have not been told about.

Strong statements of support for port workers had been received from the Council of Trade Unions and affiliated unions, the International Transport Workers Federation, political organizations and representatives, and individual members of the community.

“People understand this how contracting out action would lead to a casualized workforce in one of Auckland’s key assets, and is being used as part of a broader port privatization grab.”

You may also like...

1 Response

  1. January 27, 2012

    […] http://www.munz.org.nz/2012/01/20/maritime-union-condemns-latest-ports-of-auckland-outsourcing-move/ This entry was posted in Press releases and tagged Maritime Union of New Zealand by simon. Bookmark the permalink. […]

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: